GESIS – Leibniz-Institute for the Social Sciences is an internationally active social science institute belonging to the Leibniz Association. It is funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and the Federal States.
We are seeking applicants for an open position in Mannheim, Germany as Senior Researcher (with doctoral degree) (salary group 14 TV-L, full time, initially for 4 years)
Preferred start date: April 1, 2014. The start date for the selected candidate is negotiable.
Area of responsibility includes:
- Serve as co-project manager of dataset and documentation production for the Comparative Study of Electoral Systems (CSES), and co-manager of CSES operations.
- Conduct your own research, publish internationally and present your research at conferences.
- Research, prepare and clean macro-level data for the CSES. Provide input into the development of the macro data for the project, including the availability of macro data and the validity, reliability, and methodology of the sources that are under consideration. Prepare and clean survey and district level data from CSES.
- Merge the datasets into a single cohesive data file, harmonize variables, and conduct cross-national consistency and quality checks.
- Research and respond directly to assigned questions from the user community. Communicate directly with collaborators from countries around the world.
- Draft memorandums on data and documentation for the CSES Planning Committee.
Work will be carried out in close collaboration with the other members of the CSES Secretariat, which are co-located at the GESIS – Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences and the Center for Political Studies at the University of Michigan in the United States.
As the ideal candidate you will posses the following skills:
- Have a PhD in political science
- Have excellent knowledge of quantitative methodology, data and documentation preparation, and statistical analysis
- Have in-depth knowledge of and formal training in political institutions and the intricacies of electoral rules around the world
- Have excellent command of Stata, or expert-level knowledge of another comparable statistical package
- Have a strong command of English (the language used by CSES), both verbal and in writing
- Experience working with collaborators from other countries would be beneficial
- Experience working on an academic comparative research project would be beneficial
- Experience with CSES data would be beneficial
Non-German-speaking candidates will be expected to acquire proficiency in German over a certain period of time. We only process online applications. Please apply here until February 3, 2014: http://www.gesis.org/en/institute/jobs-at-gesis/
For further information concerning the job description please contact Lars Kaczmirek by phone +49 621 1246206 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. For information regarding the application procedure please contact Ms. Eileen Züfle by email email@example.com.
GESIS guarantees that guidelines regarding employment laws for the disabled and handicapped as well as laws and regulations governing part-time employment will be observed. GESIS is an equal opportunity employer and is certified by the European work & family audit.